I moved to Sospel, southern France, last month and I’ve been enjoying cooking locally grown products even more than usual.
We are on the last stretch of figs season and I’m stocking up on this great fruit by making some jam.
- 2,5 kg of fresh figs
- 1 kg of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wash the figs and cut them in quarters after having removed the stems.
- Put them in a cooking pan, and pour sugar over. Have it seat for 10 minutes, then boil.
- Add the vanilla extract and cook for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Pass the mix in the blender to get reed of the skins (unless you want whole bits then don’t) and cook for another 10 minutes.
- When the jam is ready, scald your jam jars with water to sterilize them before pouring the preparation into them.
- Close the jars immediately and turn them over, so it expels the air and helps preserve your jams.
Leave a Reply